Pages

December 28, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Mason Jar

The other day I needed a few mason jars, but of course they only come in packages of 12. So with a few extras I decided to make them a little cuter with some chalk paint! Simple project, but still cute. 
So, I've heard a lot of sketchy things about chalk paint, mostly saying that it doesn't work well. At Michaels of course there's always amazing coupons, so I checked there and decided to go with this Martha Stewart brand, and I thought it worked well! It is still a bit hard to write on, but it looks better than one's I've seen before. 
Anyways, with my coupon, I got the chalk paint, chalk, and some cheap paint brushes for less than 7 dollars. 
I followed the instructions on the paint bottle (mostly) haha. I did the first coat, and it was pretty crappy, and even though the bottle says to wait a full hour between coats, I only waited about 20-30 minutes for my second and then later my third coat as well. I then let it dry 24 hours before writing on it. But it turned out good! I also painted a lid also! I don't think I would use the chalkboard jar with the chalkboard lid.. that's just too much chalkboard for me! But you can do it however you like! 
(Yes, I know I spelled marshmallow wrong. It's an inside joke!)